Do you have elderly in your family with Parkinson’s disease? Are you looking for the most comfortable wheelchair for the elderly available in the market? The reviews of the best wheelchairs for Parkinson patients have picked the best products for your consideration.
Here, you will be familiar with the best wheelchairs for the elderly with different specifications. In addition, they come with a lightweight, easy folding, sturdy design, durable mechanism, and more features.
Wheelchairs are one of the most required products for the elderly as well as for Parkinson’s patients. That will lend a helping hand to all the caregivers who deal with them.
However, you can bring your parents or in-laws or your patients to attend the doctor’s appointment. You don’t need to come back early in the middle of outings. Here is a quick list of the best wheelchairs, please check our top 5 suggestions below.
- Overall Best for Parkinson’s: Drive Medical Blue Streak
- Modern Wheelchair: Invacare 9000 XT High-Performance Lighter
- Most Popular Wheelchair for 2021: Vive Mobility Folding Transport
- Best Durable & Exclusive Wheelchair: Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Electric
- Best Budget Wheelchair for 2021: Drive Medical Lightweight Expedition
A comfortable wheelchair with great quality will keep them safe and let you take care of them easily. Let us discuss further details in the review section, including buying guide & FAQs. You may read also The Best Exercise Bike For Parkinson in our blog.
Let's have a look Table of Contents
Comparison of Recommended Wheelchairs
Drive Medical Blue Streak
Need to assemble
L38 x W22 x H38 inches
Weight Capacity 250lbs
Invacare 9000 XT
L31 x W23 x H35.5 inches
Weight Capacity 250lbs
Vive mobility folding
L32 X W21 X H40 Inches
Weight Capacity 300lbs
Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter
Need to assemble
40X 19.68 X 21.5 Inches
Weight Capacity 265 pounds
Drive Medical Lightweight
Need to assemble
L38 x W22 x H38 inches
Weight Capacity 300pounds
Top 5 Best wheelchairs Review for Parkinson patients
We picked the 5 best wheelchairs for Parkinson’s patients after conducting in-depth research. Please read through the following reviews to find the best wheelchair for everyday use for your senior.
1. Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair
Here comes the Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair that is designed with a flip-back desk arms system. It offers quality support for its users by its swing-away footrests technology. In addition, the included 18″ seat is suitable enough to fit adult seniors.
However, this self-propelled wheelchair is a blessing for disabled, elderly, or Parkinson’s patients. Your elderly can easily roll in and out individually without any assistance.
The cutting-edge structure makes this wheelchair enjoyable during mobility. It comes with a 20″ width while the seat is 26″, easily fitting adult users.
In addition, the detachable desk arms provide customized support along with the swing away footrest. However, the seat is constructed with durable padded nylon materials to offer long-lasting performance.
The 18″ wheelchair seat ensures comfortable transport with superior quality support. However, the pneumatic rear wheel tires featured a push-to-lock mechanism for safety.
The included calf straps keep the legs safe in place. In addition, the blue powdered steel structure and durable rubber tires provide maximum comfort for mobility with stability.
You may read also: Comfortable Weighted Utensils for Parkinson’s patients
- Easy transport and easy storage.
- Detachable armrest and swing-away footrest for maximum comfort.
- Come with a very lightweight feature.
- Durable built-in structure for maximum support.
- Caregiver and user are friendly.
- Ideal for longer outings for its lightweight feature.
- Comfortable to use for Parkinson patients.
- It comes with a sturdy design with great quality.
- A well-built wheelchair for the money
- It is a perfect chair for the shorter adults with a permanent disability.
- The plastic wheels may come in poor quality.
2. Invacare 9000 XT High-Performance Lighter Weight Wheelchair
Have a close eye on Invacare 9000 XT if you want the best folding wheelchair for your senior. That comes with a lightweight feature to provide the best performance while rolling.
In addition, its desk-length armrests along with T94HC elevating footrest ensure maximum comfort for your senior. You may also find here the best shoes for Parkinson’s. The padded calf adds extra value for providing safety as well as quality support at the same time.
The electric red wheelchair provides superior quality performance and versatility for its users. Its 16″ wide seat is a perfect fit for adult patients. In addition, the adjustable centre-of-gravity ensures safety as well as provides maximum stability.
However, the built-in urethane casters provide lightweight outings with ease. Furthermore, its ergonomic design keeps your loved ones or patients safe during the ride.
The well-structured composite footrest, along with the padded calf, ensures comfort and safety. Dual-axle technology lets you adjust the Hemi seat height from 19.5″ to floor height 17.5″.
However, it offers a five-year limited warranty for the crossbar and structure while providing a 13 months warranty for other parts. Its durable frame with high-quality materials ensures heavy-duty performance.
- Adjustable seat height converted from 19.5″ to 17.5″.
- It comes with dual-axle technology for maximum stability.
- 16″ seat width and 16″ seat depth ensures high-quality support.
- Built-in composite footrest with padded calf provides safety.
- Adjustable overall height lets you adjust the height between 34 “-38”.
- Easy to fold and free to roll.
- A well-built wheelchair for the elderly.
- Come fully assembled without the leg rest.
- Provide leg rest and footrest separately at the same time.
- The built-in aluminum frame, along with the composite footrest, makes it very lightweight.
- The extendable footrest may not extend properly.
3. Vive Mobility Folding Transport Wheelchair
If you are looking for the best Lightweight wheelchair for your senior, then a Vive mobility folding transport wheelchair can be the one. It comes with a hand brake mechanism for easy usability.
However, its aluminium construction makes it lightweight and comes with a 19″ ultralight wide bariatric seat. In addition, it provides maximum support for disabled adults.
The easy folding technology lets you or the caregiver fold and store with ease. It’s included a travel manual mobility aid that keeps your loved ones safe during any outing activities.
In addition, the padded armrests offer comfort for their arms while relaxing. However, the padded, breathable back seat included a quick-release seat belt for the most comfort.
Its built-in 12″ big rear tires let you move your senior adults indoors or outdoors with ease. Finally, it can be the best option for your loved ones for its durability.
The built-in structure with footrest support and powerful wheels give it stability. However, it provides the best support for Parkinson’s patients with quality comfort.
- Safe and reliable mobility for senior adult patients.
- A 19″ wide backrest for maximum support.
- The 12″ rear tires provide the utmost stability on the roll.
- Adjustable folding technology ensures easy storage.
- Its durable frame stands up to 300lbs weight.
- It is easy to fold for loading and unloading from your car.
- Mesh-type back provides extra comfort.
- Offer a lifetime warranty for its users.
- Adjustable footrest height for comfortable sitting.
- It comes with 12″ wheels that make it easy to push.
- The foot placement may come very high for some people.
4. Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Electric Scooter
Let me discuss the Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter, one of the best electric wheelchairs available now. It features rechargeable batteries and a charger to cover long ranges at a time.
However, this heavy-duty electric-powered wheelchair comes with an included basket in the front. So you or the caregiver can place the important things in it while travelling with your senior.
Roll on smoothly over smooth indoor or outdoor surfaces with a maximum 3.7mph speed. Try this four-wheel transport scooter that is designed with 8″ flat-free tires for smooth driving. However, it covers up to 12.4 miles per full charge.
It can safely handle your adults with 265pounds weight. The 15.75″ wide seat with cushioned backrest provides gentle support and comfort as well.
Included two padded armrests that adjust and flip mounting for the best comfort onboarding or exiting. In addition, the removable seat and folding tiller make the storage easy for travel with any standard vehicle.
Built-in upfront headlight for a signal while needed. However, the adjustable speed control panel lets you control the speed through a speed dial. The battery life indicator display shows the remaining battery life for precautions.
- Smooth mobility for indoor or outdoor activities.
- The padded seat with cushioning provides comfort.
- Detachable into four separate pieces for easy transportation.
- The intuitive control panel lets you control the speed with an adjustable speed dial.
- A five years limited warranty for the main structure.
- Easy to navigate around and folding.
- Easy to recharge the battery that lasts for hours.
- A perfect size to move freely even on the cruise.
- It comes with a 250lbs capacity.
- A great scooter with quality at its price range.
- The bottom of the scooter may not break loose easily.
5. Drive Medical Lightweight Expedition Transport Wheelchair
Let’s wrap up the review section with a Drive Medical wheelchair with hand brakes. That comes with lightweight expedition transport technology for easy mobility. However, it’s a perfect lightweight mobility transport with an easy flat folding mechanism.
You can store it with ease while travelling with your vehicle. That comes with a 22″ open seat to fit adult users by providing quality support.
The included handy lever chair back structure for easy folding. Its built-in seat belt with companion active wheel lock ensures maximum support and stability for the elderly.
In addition, the 12″ flat-free rear wheels provide smooth mobility transport over smooth surfaces. The aluminium expedition makes it durable and reliable for its users.
You can have the best portable wheelchair for your elderly to support them in their daily life. In that case, a Drive medical expedition lightweight wheelchair is the best option for you. Though it’s very lightweight, it can safely handle 300 pounds of weight with ease.
- It comes with a seat belt for safety.
- The dimensions are 38 “×38″ ×22”.
- The hand brake system for convenient use.
- The lightweight feature of 19lbs for easy transport.
- Floor to seat height 19″ that is perfect for adults.
- It comes with a very lightweight feature.
- Breaks work great and require caregiver support.
- The seat pad fits perfectly and provides maximum comfort.
- It has an easy folding mechanism to fold.
- Included instructions are short and very useful for assembly.
- The hand brakes may not work properly.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQs):
Q: What are the benefits of wheelchairs for Parkinson’s patients?
Parkinson’s patients suffer contractions during moving. It puts a limit on the daily activities of its patients. A perfect wheelchair or a comfortable walker can bring big blessings for them by making their daily activities easy. Let’s find out the advantages of using a wheelchair for Parkinson’s patients.
- The self-propelled or attendant-propelled wheelchair ensures safe mobility.
- Adjustable folding technology ensures easy storage.
- Wide rear wheels provide maximum support during the rolling.
- The padded seat with cushioned backrest gives maximum comfort for its users.
- Adjustable footrest, padded armrest, and calf ensure superior quality support and comfort while relaxing.
- Easy mobility ensures timely checkups by your physician.
- Enable the users to exercise and take a quick rest while necessary.
- Lightweight features ensure enjoyable indoor and outdoor activities for the elderly.
- Easy folding mechanism and a detachable seat ensure easy in or out of your vehicle.
- Very helpful for Parkinson’s patients and caregivers.
Q: How much does a simple wheelchair cost?
A standard wheelchair costs $500. However, it can range between $1000 and $2000 for everyday use based on its features. That includes wheel types, power source, structural materials, seat quality, and types and weight standing capacity.
Q: What are some another popular wheelchairs for Parkinson’s patients?
Here is a list of some popular wheelchairs for patients.
- Carex Transport Folding with Foot Rests
- Drive Medical K320DFA-ELR Cruiser III
- Drive Medical BLS18FBD-ELR Blue Streak
- Hi-Fortune 21lbs Lightweight Medical Manual
- Drive Medical EXP19LTBL Lightweight
- Drive Medical SSP20RBDDA Silver Sport Reclining
- Medline – MDS806550E Lightweight
- Drive Medical Viper Plus GT Full Reclining
- ProBasics Standard Wheelchair
- Medline Comfort Driven Wheelchair, model- MSO-MDS806200EE
How to choose a wheelchair for a Parkinson’s patient?
You should keep in mind the following aspects before choosing a wheelchair for Parkinson’s patients. Many factors play an important role in a satisfying purchase. So, have a look at the below-mentioned aspects to choose the right wheelchair for your elderly.
Always go for the lightweight wheelchair because it increases the mobility of Parkinson’s patients. A lightweight wheelchair is easily transportable from indoor to outdoor activities. It also provides quality support for adult users.
An adjustable brake is another crucial feature to choose the right product as per your requirements. The self-propelled or attendant-propelled wheelchairs featured adjustable breaks for easy control. Choose a wheelchair that features a great adjustable break.
Padded hand rest:
The padded hand rests around the cushioned seat is a must for a wheelchair. It provides support for the adults as well as comfort while resting. So, pick a wheelchair that comes with a hand rest feature for quality support.
Different wheelchair manufacturing brands provide adjustable footrests for senior adults. So that you or the caregiver can adjust according to your loved ones’ required height. In addition, it will keep their feet safe and secured during outings. So, choose one with an adjustable footrest system.
Pick a wheelchair that comes with a durable built-in structure that will ensure durability as well as stability. For example, aluminium frame, nylon padded breathable seat, rubber wheels are the most common materials used in constructing a great wheelchair. So, make sure your product is constructed with the best materials.
Choose a wide-wheeled wheelchair that comes with a great weight capacity to ensure stability and easy mobility. That can vary from 200lbs to 300lbs. So, choose according to your requirements.
You may read also: Best Electric Shaver for Parkinson’s patients
A standard wheelchair with great features can solve mobility issues for Parkinson’s patients. Several wheelchairs come with specific features that make them unique from other brands.
The reviews of best wheelchairs for Parkinson patients are formatted with the in-depth analysis of these products.
However, you will get detailed information about them from description, features, technical details, pros and cons sections.
Study each wheelchair review with patience to determine the best wheelchair that will fit your needs. Then, we hope you can make a satisfying purchase with a great quality wheelchair for your adult Parkinson’s patient.
I like to think positive about life. I always wanted to be a great writer, like Victor Hugo and Roman Roland, who have influenced millions of people through their books. I like to write an article on unique topics, where I try my best to provide important information that will meet the need of the people